Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Triumph Over Grief

I will remember the works of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will also meditate on all Your work, and talk of Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12
Psalm 77 was written by Asaph during a time when he was overcome with troubles that he had no power to change. In the pit of despondency, the psalmist cried out to the Lord: “I cried out to God with my voice—To God with my voice; and He gave ear to me. In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; my hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing; my soul refused to be comforted” (77:1-2). Many people turn to their own devices or to the world for help when they are in trouble. But the godly will always turn to the Lord in their distress.
Although Asaph called upon God, he couldn’t shake away his depression. In fact, the more you complain, the more your spirit will be brought down. At such times, we need to adopt the attitude of faith which is often seen in David: “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance” (42:5).
By faith, Asaph decided to think of God’s past blessing (77:4-6). He decided to keep holding fast to the Lord. Asaph says, “Has His mercy ceased forever? Has His promise failed forevermore?” (77:8). God’s mercy and promises are the two pillars of your faith. As long as you walk in His ways, His mercy toward you will never end. God is also not a man that He should lie. To all those who believe, His promises are constantly “yes and amen.” You should rehearse the promises that He has made to you, for He will surely bring them to pass in His good time.
As hope arose in Asaph’s heart, there was a fresh quickening in his spirit at the recollection of God’s might and power. He determined to switch his thoughts: “I will remember the works of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will also meditate on all Your work, and talk of Your deeds” (77:11-12).
Another major key to overcoming all your problems is to come into the presence of the Lord: “Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary; who is so great a God as our God?” (77:13). Whenever you are faced with a crisis, the devil will do his utmost to tempt you into withdrawing from the church, and running away from God’s presence. You must resist such temptations. Go back to the house of the Lord. Worship Him together with His people. You will always find God declaring His strength among His people (77:15). And He leads you out of your problems through the godly leadership He has placed in His church (77:20).

No comments: