Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Belonging To God

Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. Psalm 73:23
Fully conscious of his own lost state and of the deceitfulness and vileness of his nature and thoughts, King David sang, “Nevertheless I am continually with You.” “Nevertheless”—notwithstanding all the foolishness and ignorance that he had just been confessing to God, David knew beyond a shadow of doubt that he was saved, accepted, and blessed by the constant presence of God. What this means for us is that as believers, we too need to be like David and know for a fact that since we belong to Christ, we are continually with God.
We are continually on His mind; He is always thinking of us and for our good. We need to make this declaration of faith to God, to ourselves and also to our enemies. The devil is the accuser of the brethren and he constantly wants to shame us for our mistakes and failures. The Psalmist says: “I am continually with You.” I am continually before God’s eye; the eye of the Lord never sleeps, but is perpetually watching over my welfare. I am continually in His hand, so that none will be able to pluck me from Him. I am continually in His favor and He loves me. I am continually in His heart and He thinks about me every day, all throughout the day.
He also says: “You hold me by my right hand.” God’s love continually reaches out to me. He always provides for me and guides me in my life. David expressed to God what the Shulamite woman says in Song of Solomon 8:6-7, “Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm; for love is as strong as death … Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the fl oods drown it.” We need to meditate on the extent of God’s amazing love toward us! Although we are not perfect, God sees us in Christ. He looks upon us as wearing Christ’s garments, washed in His blood; so that we can stand accepted in His presence. Ephesians 3:17-19 says, “That Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height—to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be fi lled with all the fullness of God.”
If your heart is weary and vexed like King David in this Psalm, here is what you should say, “Nevertheless” … Say it from the depths of your heart, and receive the assurance and joy it brings. “Nevertheless I am continually with You.”

No comments: