Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Train Someone to Pray, Care, and Share Jesus

Scripture: "And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others." 2 Timothy 2:2
Passing it On
In Jesus’ time, there were no printing presses, no television and no internet. God’s chosen method of spreading the Good News was person to person to person.
Jesus Trained His Followers
Jesus’ followers learned mostly by spending time with Him, watching and listening as He taught others. When they were ready, He gave specific instructions and then sent them on a mission: "The Lord now chose 70 other disciples and sent them to all the towns and places He planned to visit" (Luke 10:1).
After His death and resurrection, He again sent out His followers; but this time, He was sending ALL who believed in Him. He said, "As the Father has sent Me, so I am sending you" (John 20:21). He was sent to call "those who know they are sinners and need to repent" (Luke 5:32), and "to seek and save those who are lost" (Luke 19:10).
Training to Share Jesus
How we wish we could be with Jesus in person today! Yet He made this stunning claim:
“But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don't, the Advocate won't come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you” (John 16:7). Believers now have God’s Holy Spirit living within them! God, through His Spirit, speaks to us and teaches us as we read and study His word, the Bible; and guides us in what to say when sharing Jesus with others (Luke 12:11-12).

At its simplest, sharing Christ is just telling others what has happened to us, as the man healed from blindness did in John 9:25: “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”

No comments: