Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Play Hot Potato with God


Scripture: "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

 

Filled with Worry

Last night, I was so filled with worry, I unable to sleep. It was like I counting sheep, except they were worries: 1 Worry: Will my brother and his wife be ok? 2 Worry: What about my parents? What do they think of me? 3 Worry: And my job...what if I can't keep coming up with ideas? Worry filled my mind about what to eat, what to wear, who to marry, where to live! With no end in sight to my worries, a thought came to my mind, and I think it was from the Holy Spirit.

 

Hot Potato

I remembered the game Hot Potato. Did you ever play when you were young? You sit in a circle with the other kids while music plays, and someone passes around a hot potato. The idea is to pass the potato as soon as you get it, so you don't get caught with it when the music stops. Lying in bed, consumed with worry, I felt like God said to me, "Pass your worries to me...just like Hot Potato." And I remembered His word: "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7 So, as soon as a worry came into my brain (which was quite fast), I would hand it to Him. "What to eat tomorrow! Ok, here You go! Oh, and what about my debt...You can have that too!" One worry after another, I just kept passing them to the Holy Spirit, and He capably took them in His hands.

 

DO. NOT. WORRY.

You see, God does not want you to worry. Not about anything. Not for any reason. Repeat after me: GOD DOES NOT WANT ME TO WORRY. But you, like me, might think, "Well if I don't worry about it, who will? And certain things are ok to worry about, like my job or children; anything else would just be irresponsible." But Jesus says just the opposite:
“Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to Him than any birds! Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things? Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and He will give you everything you need" (Luke 12:22-31)
It doesn't get much clearer than that. Do not worry. It does you no good. Worrying is not having faith. God will take care of you. The birds and lilies are proof.

 

Worry-free Diet

I propose that God wants you and me to go on a worry-free diet. And the first thing to go are potatoes...hot potatoes. I suggest we go through this week playing the game of Hot Potato with God. As soon as a worry hits your brain, hand it to God. He can handle it! God says, "Is anything too hard for me?" Jeremiah 32:27 And Jesus said, "With man, this is impossible. But with God, all things are possible." Matthew 19:26 So, as long as you keep the worry in your hands, it remains impossible. But when you transfer it to God's hands, it suddenly becomes possible. My mom calls it her Trust Bank. When she has a deep desire that she can't do on her own, and is tempted to worry, she mentally writes out a check for that request and hands it over to God, placing it in His Trust Bank. From there, she can't worry about it; she's already signed it off to God!

 

Start Today

Let's start today, right now, in the Comments. Close your eyes, and think of the hottest potato in your hands right now. Maybe it's finances; maybe it's finding love; or maybe it's healing. Place that potato right now in God's hands by writing it in the Comments. Make that check out to Him and put it in His trust bank. Jesus said, “So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom." Luke 12:32

No comments: