Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Healing for Your Soul


Scripture: "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Jesus, Matthew 11:28

 

Is Your Soul Troubled?

I know you've been battling a lot of things in your soul. Worry about your future, regret over mistakes, consuming fear about what others think about you. It can be so overwhelming. God does not want you to live this way. He has a spacious, green, beautiful land for your soul to rest in, and He is inviting you into it. I want you to read the following promise from God to you out loud, and insert your name into it, because it's exactly what God wants to do for you.

The Lord is _______'s shepherd, ________ shall not be in want.
He makes _________ lie down in green pastures,
He leads _________ beside quiet waters,
He restores __________'s soul.
(Psalm 23:1-3)

 

Restoration for Your Soul

How is your soul doing? If you were to get a check-up, what would the doctor say? Fearful? Sad? Anxious? Your soul is the place where you really exist-your deepest, truest self. It is where you hold your memories, thoughts about yourself, and perception of the world around you. Think of your soul as the soil of your life: its health determines how much can grow in your life. If you have hard, dry soil, even if you plant all the best seeds, they will not be able to grow. Maybe you have been dealing with that kind of dryness in your soul. You try to feed yourself with good things, like the Bible or church or good friends, but still you feel empty and dry, and the things you want aren't growing.

 

God Wants to Prosper Your Soul

God wants to change all that. He actually wants to prosper your soul. 3 John 1:2 says, "Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers." I want you to imagine 2 landscapes: 1 is dry and barren, with trees with tiny, shriveled-up branches, and all around gray; the other is green, lush, with so many different trees and crops, and little streams running throughout it. The latter is His promise to you, and I want you to insert your name again:

The LORD will comfort _________again and have pity on _________'s ruins.
___________'s desert will blossom like Eden, __________'s barren wilderness like the garden of the LORD. Joy and gladness will be found there. Songs of thanksgiving will fill the air
. (Isaiah 51:3)

 

The Problem

There may be things in the soil of your soul that are rocky and dry, making it so that the things you want to grow there can't. An example of a rock would be something or someone you've been unable to forgive (maybe even yourself!) or coveting what other people have. These things act as barriers to the beautiful things God wants to plant in your life. Think of them as toxins for your soul. It's like if you were trying to eat really healthy but were also ingesting a little bit of poison with every meal. No matter how much water you drink, you're still going to feel awful.

 

Let's Go on a Healing Cleanse

I want us to experience true prosperity of soul by removing the bad things in our life and replacing them with the good things God has for us. Every week, we are going to learn about a new soul toxin and its remedy. God has amazing prescriptions for each of the things that are troubling you now (anxiety, anger, depression, etc.), and I believe He wants to lead us into experiencing deep health for our souls. Do you want to go on a health cleanse for your soul with me? I need this just as bad as you. If you are in, please write your heart-cry to God about the health you desire for your soul in the Comments. I'll start with my own prayer for me and for you:

Lord, I want You to heal my soul. All the things that have troubled me and kept me from living the life you have for me, please remove them. I am giving You full-access to my soul; please let the verses above come true for me and for the person reading this. Let us experience the prosperity of soul while we are still on this earth. Teach us the keys to live healthy. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments: