Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

The Greatest Gift You Can Give God

“You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering. The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God” (Psalm 51:16,17

So: God has saved you from Hell, freed you from judgment for all your sins, given His wonderful Spirit to live inside of you, and is preparing a place for you in Heaven. This probably makes you want to say “Thank you!” However…

What do you get for the person who has everything? If you’ve ever tried to find a gift for someone who already has it all, you know how hard it can be. Now what about for God? He said, “For all the animals of the forest are mine, and I own the cattle on a thousand hills” (Psalm 50:10). All the cattle on a thousand hills—that’s hard to beat!

But this reminds me of when I was a little girl.There was nothing of any material value I could give my dad to show my love; I didn’t have any money! So I gave what I could: cards telling him how much I love him; pictures I painted for him; “coupons” to spend time with me; and kindness to my brother. These things meant more to him than anything I could ever buy. In fact, to this day, he still has some of the things I made him, and when asked what he wants for his birthday, he says, “Peace at home.”

God is the same way. King David said to God, “You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering. The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God” (Psalm 51:16,17). What He really wants is heartfelt love from you and care for others. Just like my handmade cards and pictures, here are gifts that God loves: 
  • Tell Him how much You Love and Appreciate Him: God said, “But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me” (Psalm 50:23). That’s what I was doing when I drew my dad little cards expressing my love. 
  • Spend Time with Him: “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:33). God wants to spend time with you just like my dad loves to spend time with me!
  • Do What He Asks: Jesus said, “If you love Me, obey My commandments” (John 14:15). Would you believe your friend loved you if you always did things that he hated?
  • Care for Others: Jesus said, “The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me'” (Matthew 25:40). When you do something kind for someone else, it’s like you’re doing it for Jesus.
  • Live in Peace with Others: “Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose” (Philippians 2:2). Just like my dad wants peace at home, God wants peace amongst His children. Show Him your love by being kind and forgiving towards others.
These are just a few ways to show God how much you love and appreciate Him What’s your way? Just like my dad loved my little pictures and gifts, God loves the unique way you show Him your love. Let us know how you show your love to God!

So, this week, let’s pray that:
  • We would truly realize how much God has done for us
  • We would show Him our love for Him and bring Him happiness
  • Global Media Outreach would be full of gratitude for what God has done for us
THANK YOU so much for your prayers. God loves you!

No comments: